How to Make Marshmallows?
Marshmallows are a nostalgic treat, bringing back memories of sitting around a campfire with friends. These soft and sweet treats have a unique flavor as unique as their texture. For those curious to try making marshmallows of their own, the process starts with several easy-to-find ingredients.
Making marshmallows may take several hours, but the resulting taste is worth the time put in. Even people who usually think marshmallows taste bland will be impressed with the difference in flavor.
What Are Marshmallows Made Of?
Anyone can make marshmallows from home, even someone completely new to baking. Marshmallows are made from water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, vanilla, and gelatin. These ingredients are readily available at grocery stores and can be brought together for an eye-opening treat.
- 2 Tablespoons of Gelatin (3 envelopes/packages)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Mix gelatin with ½ a cup of water and set to one side.
- Stir sugar, corn syrup, ½ cup of water, vanilla extract, and salt in a saucepan. Heat the mixture until it begins to boil. Cover for 15 minutes. While waiting, prepare a baking tin by placing plastic wrap inside and spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and uncover. After bubbles subside, add the mixture to the gelatin and whisk together using a mixer or by hand. Continue whisking for ten minutes. The mixture should substantially increase in size.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin. Cover with additional plastic wrap and let the marshmallows sit overnight. After the marshmallows have settled, flip the baking tin over and remove plastic wrap.
- Divide the Marshmallows with a pizza cutter. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the sticky outside of the marshmallows and enjoy.
Enjoy Marshmallows Covered in Chocolate:
Last week, Dilettante Chocolates introduced two of its own unique marshmallow flavors. Those eager to enjoy a gourmet marshmallow taste can choose between Chocolate-Covered Vanilla Bean and Triple Chocolate Marshmallows.
These marshmallows are made by the hands of Dilettante’s talented chocolatiers and covered in couverture-quality chocolate. For a more convenient way to enjoy decadent marshmallows, shop Dilettante’s Chocolate-Covered Marshmallow Collection.